Well, we took Chance in to get his ultrasound. He really fought going back to the vet for a third time in three weeks and having to wear his muzzle. Somehow the vet was double booked for appointments and so we ended up dropping him off for part of the day. Which was one of my worst fears for Chance.
So, we worried for the next four hours until we got the call to pick him up. The vet called us in and showed us the images she took from the ultrasound. It was obvious that there was a mass on the liver and the liver itself was made up of cancerous tissue. It was the hard truth we needed to know.
While she was explaining the pictures, I kept hearing a dog whining. I looked up and there was Chance looking at us, crying to go home. I felt really comforted that I got to see him in the kennel and that he was OK. It gave me some peace of mind about how his day went.
Chance is on two medications- one for the fluid in the abdomen to continue to drain out and one for his liver to continue to function. And if you saw him without telling you he has liver cancer, you would never know he has it. Chance is still the dog with the most energy, still pulls me along on a walk and is as happy and moody as ever.
So, we are just living one day at a time with all the dogs and making the most of each day with them. Pulling out the camera more, trying to hold on to time.